Praise for the First Edition:
“Because of the way it is organized, this book meets the needs of both novice and experienced advance practice nurses. Each chapter defines the problem, how often it occurs, and what leads to the problem. To aid in assessment, the book includes the physical examination landmarks as well as diagnostic tests that might be needed. A plan of care is offered with several different alternatives for treatment and then notes what type of follow-up is needed. This would be a great resource for anyone working in the field of geriatrics…Score: 92 – 4 Stars!
This hands-on text and clinical reference–used by thousands of NP students and practitioners alike–delivers national practice guidelines and professional standards of care to help clinicians deliver optimal primary care to adult and older adult patients. The new third edition, featuring the expert input of two renowned Adult-Gerontology practitioners, updates all chapters, teaching guides, and illustrative charts and provides new charts to enhance readability. Fresh content includes information on Sjogren’s syndrome; reactive arthritis; elder abuse; LGBTQ health; concussion assessment; joint pain, bursitis, and fractures; peripheral neuropathy; and perimenopause/menopause. The third edition also includes the updated Beers Criteria and covers COVID-19 treatment and vaccines.
Ideal for quick reference and as a study guide, the text presents the most up-to-date guidelines in a consistent, easy-to-read, bulleted format. Conveniently organized by body system, it features detailed content on the physical examination and diagnostic testing, information on health promotion, guidelines of care, dietary information, common procedures, national patient resources, and popular Client Teaching Guides–available in print and digital format–that serve as both patient handouts and concise study tools. Clinical points throughout the text highlight critical practice considerations. The book, with its great breadth and depth of information, will be a welcome companion for NP students as they transition to professional practice and beyond.
New to the Third Edition:
- Completely updated content including patient teaching guides and charts
- New charts added to enhance comprehension
- Coverage of Sjogren’s syndrome; reactive arthritis; elder abuse; LGBTQ health; concussion assessment; joint pain, bursitis, and fractures; peripheral neuropathy, and perimenopause/menopause
- Latest guidelines on COVID-19 treatment and vaccines
- Updated Beers Criteria
- Current CDC recommendations on vaccines and cancer screening
- Offers consistent guidelines for over 275 disorders
- Presents practice guidelines organized by body system
- Lists disorders alphabetically for easy access
- Highlights key considerations for practice
- Delivers individual care considerations for adult, geriatric, and pregnant patients
- Provides Client Teaching Guides serving as both take-home teaching supplements for patients and a concise study tool for students