Praise for earlier editions:
“This is a wonderful book for both novice and experienced physician assistants and nurse practitioners. This latest edition will see frequent use in your daily practice.”
“Score: 100, 5 stars—Doody’s Medical Reviews
“This textbook provides comprehensive coverage of primary care disorders in an easy-to-read format and contains invaluable step-by-step instructions for evaluating and managing primary care patients. . . [It] belongs in every NP and PA’s reference library. I highly recommend this wonderful textbook.”
Maria T. Leik, MSN, FNP-BC, ANP-BC, GNP-BC
President, National ARNP Services, Inc.
This core nursing resource has long served as an essential text for thousands of NP students and as a valued clinical reference for family practice and primary care clinicians.
The sixth edition continues to provide current practice guidelines and professional standards of care across the life span, with the addition of updated information in all chapters, updated patient teaching guides and charts, and new charts featuring enhanced readability. The book provides new content on COVID-19 treatment and vaccines, and new guidelines for dermatology (including photos), respiratory disease, cardiovascular disease, genitourinary considerations, neurologic conditions, and infectious diseases.
Offering succinct and practical counsel, the book features detailed, step-by-step instructions for physical examinations and diagnostic testing, information on health promotion, guidelines of care, dietary information, common procedures, and patient resources. Chapters are organized by body system, with disorders alphabetized for ease of reference. Client Teaching Guides—available in print and digital format—perform double duty as both patient handouts and concise study tools. Consistent guidelines for more than 275 disorders facilitate ease of use and Clinical Pearls highlight key information. In addition, website links are incorporated throughout for easy access to additional information. Purchase includes access to eBook for use on most mobile devices or computers.
New to the Sixth Edition:
- Updated information in all chapters including new clinical content for each body system
- New tables, charts, and algorithms
- Updated CDC guidelines on health maintenance and immunization schedules
- New dermatology guidelines including color photos of skin rashes/disorders
- Updated guidelines for heart failure and hypertension
- Focused guidelines for the management of asthma
- Updated management of urinary tract infections, erectile dysfunction, and premature ejaculation
- Key updates for stroke management
- Current CDC guidelines for management of COVID-19
- Presents consistent guidelines for over 275 disorders providing quick access to information
- Highlights key considerations for practice
- Addresses care points for pediatric, pregnant, and geriatric patients
- Includes Client Teaching Guides serving as both patient “take-home” teaching supplements and study guides for students